Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MOMA Exhibit

I passed by the Museum of Modern Art this weekend and peeked at part of an exhibit taking place outside their building. I haven't gone into the exhibit yet so I can't tell you about it, but here is a description from the website. "Home Delivery: Fabricating the Modern Dwelling is both a survey of the past, present and future of the prefabricated home and a building project on the Museum's vacant west lot. Not since the mid-century House in the Garden series has MoMA built occupiable model buildings to demonstrate contemporary issues to the public."

Since I didn't visit the exhibit (I took this photo outside the fence!) I'm not sure who designed this one. I must go back and pay the admission next time!

13 comments:

• Eliane • said...

This looks interesting. I am glad you posted this picture - looks like a N.O.shotgun. I thought it really was focused on the 50ies/60ies & contemporary architecture.
I haven't been to the MoMA for the longest time. I really should go. Did you see the Dali exhibition? Is it still there?

Olivier said...

la maison préfabriquée, une forme d'architecture qui montre bien l'évolution de notre monde, c'est une bonne idée d'exposition. Le MOMA a vraiment de bonnes idées.

prefabricated home, a form of architecture that reflects the evolution of our world is a good idea of exposure. The MOMA has really good ideas.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

I would be interesting to visit and see the history behind prefabricated buildings. My understanding is that it took off after the war to provide houses for those who had lost theirs during the air raids. We still have some of these "prefabs" being used today.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Pre-fab houses have sure come a long way. Must be an interesting exhibit.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This is so fascinating. I've seen on HGTV that many older homes were ordered from a catalog. Can you imagine? What an adventure! I would love to visit this exhibit.

tr3nta said...

what is that little house doing there!?!?!?!?... :-)

Greg C said...

It is a very interesting building. I bet it is nice inside too.

Anonymous said...

Agree with Eliane, a N.O. "shotgun" house done in modular construction. There are some houses in outlying sections of NYC that look similar!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

That looks interesting, definitely must go back!

Gudl said...

It makes for an interesting photo! You always 'find' great objects!

marley said...

This is a good way to interest people into thinking about buildings etc. Great photo. Even better as it was free, well there is a credit crunch going on! Lol :)

Wayne said...

I didn't see this structure when I was there a couple of weeks ago but I did see the related exhibit in the museum.

Thanks Lori.