Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tugboat Races

The weekend before last I went for a run in Riverside Park and I happened upon the Tugboat Races, which take place every year in New York. The tugboats race up the Hudson River from lower Manhattan, then stop, turn around and race back down. This was on the leg of the race back downtown. I believe some of the tugboats are historic ones which are on view at the South Street Seaport. They also have a tugboat pushing contest, but I didn't see that one. I was glad I happened to bring my camera along that day!

13 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

can't step out without the camera :)
i'm glad too that u had it with you..

Olivier said...

Impressionnant cet embouteillage de bateaux ;o).

Impressing this congestion of boats ;O).

Wanda said...

I've never heard of Tugboat races...how delightful! Wish I could have been there!

Nazzareno said...

The photo makes very well the fascinating and spectacular event. :D

Blue Wave 707 said...

That must have been fun to see those heavies rumbling down the river. Look at the wakes generated by the tugs. Cool photo!

John Roberts said...

Men will race anything! They look as colorful as race cars, and I bet they were just as loud!

Unknown said...

Woww...I can feel the speed of that race!...Nice speedy snapshot!!

lv2scpbk said...

I'd love to see that. I've seen boat races but never tug boat races. Glad you captured it.

Dave said...

Tugboats are so chuncky and powerful, I bet it was great to watch them.

Bergson said...

Superb coloured and dynamic race.

To be on one of the boats must be impressive

Kiwi said...

Seems like good fun. And a great photo showing the action.

Gudl said...

That is interesting!! All the things you see in New York City!
Fun.

JAM said...

Amazing photo, that would be fun to watch.