Thursday, July 17, 2008

Waterfalls

Governor's Island was a nice place to get a close-up look at one of Olafur Eliasson's "Waterfalls." You've probably heard about this public art presentation which is situated at four spots in the East River. Here is a description from the New York Times. "The New York City Waterfalls" is a public art project of four man-made waterfalls rising from New York Harbor, some as high as the Statue of Liberty. Organized by the nonprofit Public Art Fund and the city of New York, it is being billed as the city's biggest such project since "The Gates," the $20 million effort by the artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude in 2005."

They make a really beautiful and soothing sound up close and I enjoyed sitting for a while near this one.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lori,
Wow! This waterfalls is quite impressive and awesome. In fact, I haven't heard about this public art and I am really glad you gave me the opportunity to discover it. I love it and as you said, I can imagine how nice and soothing it must have been to sit there for a while.
I also published a post (before I went on vacation) with some kind of... water falls! Check it out.
Have a great evening

Olivier said...

superbe photo, on dirait que c'est une vraie cascade. je trouve l'idée de la ville de NYC superbe, j'ai vu plein de photos, c'est vraiment impressionnant. Je me demande ce que cela donne en photo quand le soir tombe. J'adore

superb photo, it seems that this is a real waterfall. I find the idea of the beautiful city of NYC, I saw lots of pictures, is really impressive. I wonder what this gives a picture when the evening falls. I love

Blue Wave 707 said...

Pretty neat for a man-made waterfall ...

Dan Allen said...

What a cool idea! I had not heard of this exhibit. A great photo!

Dave said...

A warm summers day
, tired after walking, and the sound of water, a recipe for sleep.

marley said...

Very cool! I've read about these here and there, I've also seen the one under Brooklyn Bridge(?) over at Mings. Do you think they'll still be there when/if I come to NYC in the autumn?

Wanda said...

The sound of water falling is so soothing...
Love the picture and wish I was sitting with a book, with that sound in the background.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori... I had heard about this and was hoping you'd get a picture!... too bad it is not "permanent" but I don't think it is?... wish it had been there when I was in NY!!... Peggy

The Chief said...

I read about these! These are really cool.

Nice site, too!

Lori said...

Thanks for visiting everyone! (Marley I think the waterfalls are there until October 13. So maybe they'll still be up when you visit NYC.)

Monika said...

Beautiful shot! I think it's the best picture I've seen of the waterfalls so far. Excellent angle.