Thursday, June 12, 2008

Van Cortlandt House Museum

I was passing by Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx a few weeks ago (coming back from Wave Hill actually) and happened by the Van Cortlandt House Museum. It's not the kind of building you expect to see in the Bronx! Unfortunately it was closed when I was there, because I would have loved to see the inside. It was apparently built in 1748-49 and here is a brief description from their website http://www.vancortlandthouse.org/

Van Cortlandt House is a mid-18th century Georgian dwelling that once served as the focal point of a large and prosperous grain plantation and milling operation. At the peak of its productivity, the plantation contained a variety of livestock, farm buildings, and two mills on Tippett’s Brook.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, what a beauty!

Nazzareno said...

it is as if the time was stopped. I expected me to still see an inhabitant of the epoch...

Olivier said...

l'histoire de NYC. Elle est très belle cette maison. bravo pour la photo.

the history of NYC. It is this very beautiful house. Bravo for the photo.

Martha said...

I need to visit NY sometime this summer.

Blue Wave 707 said...

It's amazing a house like that remains in the middle of the Bronx. Nice photo.

Greg C said...

I was about to write that it didn't look like the Bronx but you beat me to it. Nice house.

Wanda said...

I know I sound like a broken record, Lori, but you just have so so so many interesting things to see in your city.

Gudl said...

You are right! I would not expect that in the Bronx! It is very beautiful.

Martha said...

I have a friend who lives in the Bronx. She says it is "really a very nice little borough".

Jessica Rae said...

Ohhh, such a pretty place.

• Eliane • said...

Would you believe that this has been on my list for years but I have yet to visit it!