Thursday, March 6, 2008

Charging Bull


Today I thought I'd show you a photo of the bull statue in the Wall Street area. The bull has long been a symbol of optimism in the stock market. Every time that I walk by this statue I notice that this seems to be a popular subject for photos and I thought I'd look up it's history. On Wikipedia I learned that the statue was made by Arturo DiModica. Here is part of what they said on Wikipedia:


Arturo Di Modica spent some $360,000 to create, cast, and install the sculpture following the 1987 stock market crash. The sculpture was the artist's idea, not the city's. In an act of "guerilla art", he trucked it to Lower Manhattan and on December 15, 1989, installed it in front of the New York Stock Exchange as a Christmas gift to the people of New York. The police seized the sculpture and placed it into an impound lot. The ensuing public outcry led the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation to install it two blocks south of the Exchange in the plaza at Bowling Green.

In any case let's hope the bulls return to the market!

14 comments:

Wanda said...

Now that is a interesting angle!!

(((smile)))!! And that's no bull!

Nazzareno said...

For luck, (besides bad politicians) we have still capable artists. The bull is very attractive (because you do not buy it?)

Dave said...

I think the US needs a change of Leader before the Bull returns.

Olivier said...

le célèbre "Charging Bull", il est impressionnant au milieu de cette petite rue (je dois avoir des photos de lui et de mister amedée). Une photo qu'aucun touriste ne peut manquer ;o).
famous "Charging Bull", it is impressive in the middle of this side street (I must have photographs of him and mister amedée). A photograph which no tourist can miss; o).

Blue Wave 707 said...

Interesting piece of art ... Thankfully, there isn't a bear statue on Wall Street ...

Gudl said...

Yeah, I've seen it,too, before. It is pretty impressive! I didn't know the story behind it, thanks for letting us know. Quite a gift!!

Greg C said...

Now that's a lot of bull. :) I think it is great that public outcry brought it back. Too bad that no longer works.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Well, that's an interesting little tidbit......I never would have thought anything like that! It's great going that extra mile to get the story behind the subject!

GMG said...

It's amazing how many times I've passed by this bull, and the only photo I found is a lousy 1998 dark picture taken just after sunset... But it's great here, and what an angle... But don't believe the market will be bullish for the next months... :(

Ming the Merciless said...

Let's hope for a bullish market this year. :-)

I love the story behind the bull statue.

marley said...

When I visited NYC I didn't get to see this New York icon! Thanks for posting and I loved the history :)

lv2scpbk said...

Now that's bull, showing us the moon. LOL. Nice shot.

John Roberts said...

I don't think I've ever seen this famous bull photographed from this angle before. The people in front staring at it make the photo humorous to me.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

none of my friends who go to NYC come back without a photo with the bull and they always have a wisecrack caption to go with it!!! :)