Thursday, May 28, 2009

Walden Pond

This is a picture of Walden Pond, near Concord, Massachusetts. The pond may be most well known as the inspiration for the author and philospoher Henry David Thoreau's book Walden. It was here that Thoreau spent two years in a simple cabin, where he sought self-reliance and simplicity, and wrote about his experiences. Being at the pond and seeing the replica of his house made me eager to read his book. A little simplicity in life sounds like a good thing these days!

5 comments:

W Jay W said...

It is much larger than I had ever imagined! It certainly looks peaceful, surrounded by the dense forest.

Dave said...

Looks good. I find swimming in lakes more scary than the sea. I wonder if Henry Thoreau is related to Lois Thoreau the travel writer, I'll have to look that up. Thats two things in two days you have made me do a bit of research, thats good.

Olivier said...

cette photo a un petit goût de vacances, j'aime beaucoup
this photograph has a small taste of vacation, I like very much

Babzy.B said...

After seeing the excellent movie "into the wild " i decided to read Thoreau , but haven't read it yet ;)Nice pond did you take a photo of the house ?

Blue Wave 707 said...

I remember reading that book for a college English class ... nice shot!