Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year

Since today is the first day of the lunar new year, I thought I'd show some traditional new year's cakes that I saw recently in the Hong Kong Supermarket in Flushing, Queens. These cakes are called Nian Gao in Chinese and they are a sticky rice cake that is usually eaten warm. I don't know much about the traditions of lunar new year, but I know there is usually a nice parade that happens here in Chinatown in Manhattan and in Flushing, where there is a big Asian community. If I get to one of the parades next weekend, I'll make sure to have some pictures!

6 comments:

Olivier said...

tu vas aller voir les beaux défilé dans chinatown ? c'est une grande fete très colorée (A Paris, dans le chinatown il y a des défilés, c'est magnifique)

you will see the beautiful parade in Chinatown? it is a very colorful celebration (In Paris, in chinatown there are parades, is wonderful)

Anonymous said...

"Gong hei fat choi"

"Congratulations and be prosperous"

...and to all who celebrate (or not!) a Happy, Healthy and Lucky Lunar New Year

Blue Wave 707 said...

Gao is extremely popular here in Honolulu.

Kung Hee Fat Choy!

GMG said...

Kung Hei Fat Choi 恭喜發財

Blogtrotter, with some new posts for you to comment... ;))

Wanda said...

I like hearing about other people's traditions. On a cold day, a warm rice cake would probably taste real nice with a cup of tea.

Will look forward to pictures of the parade.

LOL:Wanda

Ming the Merciless said...

When I was a kid, we get nian kaw from everyone -- neighbors, coworkers, cousins, etc. And we reciprocate with more nian kaw. After the festivity is over, nobody has opened the cakes and they almost all end up in the trash.

I guess nian kaw is the Chinese version of the dreaded fruitcakes.