Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Public Art

I've walked past this statue of a draft horse pulling a cart many times and just recently looked up its name and history. It part of a public art installation by the British artist Sarah Lucas and is called "Perceval."

On the publicartfund.org website I read, "The piece is a replica of a popular knick-knack that adorns many mantelpieces in the UK; the subject matter reflects Lucas' predilection for reexamining everyday objects in unusual contexts. The installation of Perceval at the entrance to Central Park, where horse drawn carriages line-up daily to offer guided visits of New York, plays off of its urban and pedestrian surroundings."

It was at Fifth Avenue and Central Park South until recently when it ended its run. I'll have to go back and see what they've got there now.

10 comments:

Olivier said...

c'est une œuvre très originale, NYC est vraiment la ville de l'art urbain. j'adore.

this is a very original work, NYC is really the city of urban art. Very good.

Nazzareno said...

This horse is fantastic and I thinks whether to walk for Central Park is as the visit of a museum.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Neat shot! Looks like one of those Budweiser Clydesdales.

Greg C said...

I love draft horses. When I lived in Idaho. There was a draft horse farm just up the road. They looked magnificent standing out in the fields.

lv2scpbk said...

I like it. Creates a nice touch.

Gudl said...

It's big!!
Thanks for explaining this 'art' to us.

Wanda said...

Very nice ~~ I can picture that as a nick nack on a mantel ~~

You bring us the most interesting things ~~ love my visits here Lori, and you faithfulness to my blog.

LOL:)

marley said...

Yes, you tend to see these in Grandma type houses! Very funny :)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Central Park is such a happening place!!!!! love all that you show us from there :)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

What is the horse hauling? It looks like peanuts.