Friday, September 28, 2007

Washington Square Arch

Today I’m showing a picture of the arch in Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village. I was just reading online that the original arch was constructed to celebrate the centennial of George Washington’s inauguration as president. That first temporary arch was so popular that a permanent one was commissioned and was modeled after the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Washington Square Park is always a good people-watching spot.

I’m afraid I won’t be near my computer on Friday, so I can’t look at all of your beautiful photos. So I’ll wish everyone a happy weekend now and see you Monday!

13 comments:

lv2scpbk said...

Wonderful details in this.

Neva said...

I love how you took this arch shot....

Olivier said...

superbe cet arc de triomphe, une sorte d'hommage à la France. Cela me rappelle le film "quand harry rencontre sally" au debut quand il arrive à NYC apres ce long voyage en voiture, elle le laisse là au Washington Square. Bon weekend

superb this triumphal arch, a kind of homage to France. That points out film to me “there when harry meets sally” at the beginning when it arrives at NYC after this long voyage by car, it leaves it in Washington Square. Good weekend

Blue Wave 707 said...

Cool photo of another NYC landmark!

Have a great weekend!

Nazzareno said...

When a photo is said excited! Really splendid. To Monday.

Gudl said...

This shot was taken from a great angle! Very nice.
Have a great weekend!

K M F said...

nice one

Unknown said...

I like the angle. It shows the design of the inner part of that arch (ceiling part). I am just wondering about that tree branch...may be you have a reason for it.

Wish you happy weekend!!

Dave said...

Enjoy your weekend, and I will look forward to your next batch of photos.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Great and beautiful perspective, Lori. Well done!

I would love to know NY City! It's my dream!!!

GMG said...

Great picture from a wonderful arch. Passed many times under it, sometimes very, very late at night, coming from either Blue Note, Visiones or Village Vanguard (or Boxers, while it existed)...
Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog. I just left Bali and I’m posting on Singapore at Blogtrotter.
Enjoy, and have a great weekend!

John Roberts said...

Amazing detail in the enlarged version. nice composition!

Unknown said...

Wow did I get confuse here at first before reading your post I thought you actually went to paris to get this shot!